Saturday, July 14, 2012
Wind Turbines and Virtual Math
I was excited to see that my proposal to kidwind.org was posted. I'm looking forward to learning more about wind energy as I facilitate activities in the classroom this year. I hope that we are selected to receive materials from kidwing.
On a disappointing note, my proposal to the AAGC for a grant to do Virtual Math teams was not funded. My idea is to be a virtual math coach to 2 teams from under-represented schools in our area. I will meet with the teams via skype after school and get funding for them to participate in tournaments where they will actually meet each other face to face. I guess it's up to me to find additional funding opportunities now. I have faith that someone out there will fund this great opportunity! I happened to be discussing education with Mr. Bob Robinson from Boeing Corporation this week and he was talking about what a great job Bob Jones High School does with its computer progragramming students. I've seen such a decline in participation in the Team Programming Challenge over the last 9 years in the ACTE Tech Fair. We have fewer teachers staying in the profession. Most of them leave for corporate adventures leaving our youth waiting till college to learn these great skills. I can remember over 25 years ago every 3rd grader in Huntsville City School learned programming in the computer lab with a programming called logo. I have the old manual from their dos program and have downloaded freeware called mswlogo that my students really love. I know there are other versions of logo out there for purchase. It is one of my students' favorite activities of the year. Another great programming language for kids and middle school studnets is Scratch which was created by MIT.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment